My kids I have been listening to the audiobooks for Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small series, and I can't help...

My kids I have been listening to the audiobooks for Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small series, and I can't help but see the main character as a fine example of a Deft Knight.

Keladry of Mindelan

I turned Page-Keladry's Group selections over in my head a bit, and while "Protector of the Small is poetic as a vocation (with "Yamani-raised" as a trouble-causing species), it probably makes more sense to do "Lady Knight" or something, since that would actually give her a more readily identifiable set of skills, knowledge, and relationships. I'd probably do "Yamani-court-raised" either as an affiliation or a full-on trouble-causing species, applying to two stats, but often throwing wrinkles into her social interactions.

Attuned: Castle Sparrows, [Yamani Glaive]. As she progresses, she picks up [Destrier: Peachblossom], [Jump, the Dog], [Natural Tactician], [Lord Wyldon's Finest Trainee], et cetera.

In this setting, I wouldn't necessarily have Deft lose ALL their attuned benefits if they wear heavier armor - many would become irrelevant, but I'd prefer to judge them on a case by case basic (no reason for scouting sparrows to suddenly become useless just because you picked up a shield), rather than shut them all off. In trade, I'd drop the benefit to AC, etc. from off-hand weapon wielding, as double-weapon tricks don't come up much/at all in this setting.

Anyway - nothing much useful to see here, I suppose, I just wanted to get it out of my head and play around with Whitehack a bit. Cheers all.

Comments