I'm working on some modified rules for Whitehack and have been looking to add a few more examples for my players.

I'm working on some modified rules for Whitehack and have been looking to add a few more examples for my players. Here is one of them:

Referee: You open the heavy stone door. Before you are the bones of a deceased human, wearing a silver circlet. Clinging to the skeletal remains are tattered clothes long chewed upon by the mice that are scurrying away; Some behind the altar in the middle of the room, others to the cracks in the wall. In the bony hands of the deceased is a femur; If your information is correct, it is the Femur of Saint Alexander a holy relic of the church of Althena. What do you do?

Venric’s player: As a wise diviner, I’d like to perform the miracle of Legend Lore on the skeletal remains; I want to witness its last few minutes before its death.

Referee: That sounds like it should take a turn. I assume you plan on touching the skeletal remains?

Venric’s player: Yeah. A turn sounds right; I’m in no hurry; Though I suppose a turn means you’ll be rolling for a random encounter.

Referee: This is a fairly potent divination spell. More potent than speaking with the dead creature. I’m thinking 1d6+2 HP…though you could reduce that by offering up some concessions. I’ll drop it to 1d6 HP if you are blinded for the following 1d6 turns.

Venric’s player: I can handle the blindness (looking to the other players who shrug on). What if I also sacrifice this precious diamond worth 250 sp?

Referee: If you sacrifice the diamond and accept the blindness, I’ll drop the cost to 2 HP. Sounds good?

Venric’s player: Great. I’ll write this cost down for future reference. So I start casting Legend Lore.

Referee: Venric’s eyes roll back as the diamonds begun to pulse, melt and then ooze up into his eye sockets. Venric, your vision clears for a moment. You see a regal woman, dark skinned, and curly hair. Her head adorned with the same silver circlet. She enters the room alone. On the altar is the femur.

In her haste she crosses the room and reaches for the femur. A voice echoes throughout the room. “Do not defile! I see through your weirding ways. Do not defile!” Ignoring the words, the woman grabs the femur. A flash of light pulses from the etchings on the altar. You watch as her flesh begins to melt away. She clutches the femur unable, or unwilling, to let it go; All the while screaming. The mice gather, laughing as they watch this macabre scene.
As the spell ends your vision fades to black.

Venric’s player: So it looks like there’s a trap and these mice may have something to do with this whole thing. Even more questions. But first, we’d better examine the alter.

Comments