And another example of a Whitehack rule. This time an auction:

And another example of a Whitehack rule. This time an auction:

Referee: So you want to spend the next few days casing the property? We want to find out an optimal time to infiltrate the property; When and even where a distraction might create the greatest opening.

Player 1: Yeah. You said there were some guards along the walls. We don’t want them to notice us.

Referee: Fair enough. I think an auction is appropriate. Ok?

Player 2: Sure. Do we roll together?

Referee: No. You each bid separate and roll in secret. But in this case, if one of you succeeds, your team will learn the information you seek.

Player 2: Fair enough. So we all roll a d6 and keep it secret? No sharing amongst team mates?

Referee: Correct. So tell me how are you proceeding and what your bid is?

Player 1: As a deft thespian, I’m donning a beggar disguise and sitting across the street with my tin cup. I assume this is going to be a trained charisma task roll. So I’ll bid 8

Referee: Agreed on the trained roll. Yet the guards seem more alert than normal. Perhaps they know the usual beggars or some such thing? They bid 9.

Player 2: That escalated quickly. I think I’ll see if the guards are hiring; I’ve got a strong arm, sharp sword, and a sturdy shield. But that bid is too rich for me. I’ll 1-bid.

Player 1: Building on my beggar costume, I’ll hit up one of the guards during the middle of the shift. I’ll bid 10.

Referee: I’m done bidding. Are we all set. If so, go ahead and test your beggar antics.

Players: Yes.

Player 1: Reveals a 2 on the dice. Not great, but I have advantage and a 13 Charisma. I need something between an 11 and 15. Rolls the dice 16 and 19. Well fiddle.

Referee: Reveals a 5 on the dice. Guarding and keeping watch is what they do. They check their HD + 10. So 12. Looks like they need something between 10 and 17. Rolls a d20 and gets an 18. And it looks like the 1-bid pays off.

Player 2: Sweet. The “do you have a job for me” gambit paid off.

Referee: Yes. It was in that moment at the gate house where you saw a door on the courtyard wall leading to the outside. It must be near that overgrown area. So a way in. You also smelled the heavy stench of alcohol on one of the guards breath. You are certain Kendrik, the lithe and hairy guard, drinks quite a bit during his evening shifts. I think that’s enough to build an approach.

Player 1: Sure. We can work from that. And because our side “won” there is no consequence for my failed bid?

Referee: Correct, it just didn’t factor into any useful information gathered.

Comments